Wednesday 19 February 2014

Of Thee I Sing - A Letter to my Daughters

Author: Barack Obama
Illustrator: Loren Long
Ages: 5+

Now I do not know much of American Politics ( for that matter, much of any politics of anywhere just wafts over my head as a barely audible mumble!). I usually do not like to pick up and read books just because the author is larger than life and famous. And I do not know of any politics behind the characters that Obama has chosen to include in this book.

For me, Obama, he is different. Not as a President, but as a very strong, dependable, gentle family man. I have always admired the way he treats his three girls. I adore his tender, fatherly exchanges with his daughters, his little teases and inside jokes, loving smiles, gentle hugs and kisses. You would instantly believe he is that perfect dad and husband. Mostly the dad part is what always tugs at my heart strings. Because I am a BIG fan of my Dad! A big fan of all daddies who truly love their children and guide them without preaching, encourage them without demeaning their tiny achievements, empower them with guidance and independence and love them unconditionally. Because that is my dad's gift to me, and it is the most priceless gift that I hold on to ever so tightly.

Have I told you lately how wonderful you are?
Have I told you that you are creative?
Have I told you that you are smart?
Have I told you that you are brave?
Have I told you that you are a healer?
Have I told you that you have your own song?
Have I told you that you are strong?
Have I told you how important it is to honor others' sacrifices?
Have I told you that you are kind?
Have I told you that you don't give up?
Have I told you that you are an explorer?
Have I told you that you are inspiring?
Have I told you that you are part of a family?
Have I told you to be proud to be American?
Have I told you that America is made up of people of every kind?
Have I told you that they are all a part of you?
Have I told you that you are one of them
and that you are the future?
and have I told you that I love you?

That is the simple and yet strong poem from a dad to his girls. And for each of these, he points out to a famous American personality who inspired the world - like Neil Armstrong, Georgia O'Keeffe, Martin Luther King, Einstein, Helen Keller. Together, they make a beautiful message of love and wisdom.

The illustrations by Loren Long are very delicately done. It is wonderful to see that all of the famous personalities have been drawn as little children as well. It kind of makes the children see that great people were all little kids just like them - boys and girls who just dreamed big and believed in their dream and worked hard to make it a reality.

And it is refreshing to see that he has picked up personalities from different walks of life, different background and gender - just how parents of today should encourage, guide and love children. I liked that a lot.

Here is a youtube reading of the book.

I am glad I picked this one up, we really enjoyed reading it.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I saw the YouTube version of this book. A very nice book indeed. As parents, we should let our children be what they are and let them be what they want to be. Didn't know that Obama is a children's book author too :-))
    Thank you for yet another wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete