Friday 14 June 2013

Snuggle with Indian Picture Books

Much as would have loved to review them, I do not have a source here to obtain Indian books from. So  until I make my trip back home, I would have to stick to local books. But my cousin sent me a blog link and I found it to be a very exhaustive collection of Indian story books for children.

The blog is owned by Richa Jha, an Indian author who resides in Nigeria. She has done such a wonderful job with her blog snugglewithpicturebooks, reviewing Indian picture books and even interviewing some authors.  The blog is very neat and versatile and reflects her passion and her talent as well. The ratings table that she uses at the end of her review is absolutely unique - "Ha Ha! quotient, Touches the Heart, Cuts through the Clutter, Visual Appeal, Encore quotient, Thank God it's not Moral Science and Hey!That's a really important book" all rated on a scale of 1-5 is such a cute idea :o).

More than anything, what instantly attracted me to her blog was the way she has described her craze for picture books, it sounded just like ME!

Perhaps if you have ever come across any good blogs on Indian books ( for children), you could just add it as a comment to this post, so it would be a good place to refer back to when you want to choose books.

Appending all the suggested links:
http://www.saffrontree.org/
http://karadionline.blogspot.in/

11 comments:

  1. I have started falling in love with picture books too! No matter how many times we read, the books never bore us. And, looks like Saakshi loves reading too, can't wait to explore more books with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly, bet your enthusiasm would rub off instantly on S. Thanks for the reference, this blog is really very good for Indian picture books!

      Delete
  2. Here is yet another link that I found about Children's book blog by Praba Ram. http://www.saffrontree.org/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wonderful link, thanks Lakshmi, do add more when you find them...

      Delete
  3. Thanks for this blog suggestion, Gomathy. I would've never found out otherwise. I was able to find some titles at my library, just requested them for P. Its been a while since I went to the library and I am glad you suggested this blog, so I was able to look for some authors whom I had not read before . Will write back once I have read them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All thanks to my cousin, Dhan. I loved the blogs as well. If you do come across any other blogs / websites for Indian books, do add them here as comments... Also your thoughts on the books you chose to read...

      Delete
  4. http://karadionline.blogspot.in/
    Here is yet another treasure by Shobha Viswanath, Co-founder, Karadi Tales... The blog has both Indian and International collection of picture books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Gomathy,

    You've no idea how this has me breaking into crazy jigs :) Thanks so much having posted such a warm mention about my blog; I was looking for something and your site propped up in the online search! You have a cosy book lover's den too; I just started following it through emails. Look forward to reading more from you frequently!
    Huge book hugs,
    Richa
    p.s - I am posting a link to this blogpost on my site http://www.richajha.com/ that I am in the process of building up. If you'd like it otherwise, do let me know, I'll remove it (but I so do hope that you don't :) ).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is this for real!!! I just can't believe it, I really, REALLY had a message from The Richa Jha!! Thank you ever so much for every word, I am so deeply touched. I have been getting inside each of my posts to see if I had been making typos etc, I mean I am going crazy here right now, dear Richa!

      And now I vow myself to write regularly. I am a nobody in the world of blogging, and you still took time to pat me on my back, and YOU REALLY ASKED IF YOU COULD POST A LINK!!!! Please, I am so humbled that you have considered me, I only hope I live up and liven up to your expectations!

      BIg Bear Book hugs and cuddles galore, Gomathy. :o) *grinning* :o)

      Delete
    2. Big Bear Book hugs to you too, Gomathy! :)

      Delete
  6. Dear Gomathy,

    You've no idea how chancing upon this post made me break into a crazy jig:) Thanks so so much for such a warm mention of my blog. You have a cosy booklover's den too right here! I just signed up for your email updates; look forward to hearing from you frequently!

    Huge book hugs,
    Richa
    p.s - I am posting a link to this post on my site http://www.richajha.com/ that I'm in the process of building now. Hope it's okay with you. If you'd want to have it otherwise, do let me know and I'll remove it. But I so do hope that you don't :) )

    ReplyDelete