Friday 25 January 2013

Tea Break - Mint

A perfect medicine for tummy aches, period pain, headaches and not to mention, a grumpy mood!

There is a saying in Tamil "Uppittavarai ullalavum ninai" ( one who gives salt to you, meaning one who feeds you, should be remembered till the day you die). The caretaker of the school we live in ( oh Yes, we do!) is the one who has gotten into our uppittavar list, by feeding salt. Not to us, but to our doorsteps and front path. He has been gritting our frozen steps every single day before we get up without us even asking. How sweet! He is the sole person who has saved the bones in our bodies when we dart out of the house every morning at a maddening speed and of course, we will always remember his unconditional act of kindness. I wish I could do such random acts of kindness as many times as I can.

Finally, looks like a thaw is on the way. Good news, because what starts off as pristine white snow ends up like vomit by day 3, and as a perfect replica of spit by day 6. By which time you really wish you could shout " Land Ahoy!" and get rid of the vestigial white stuff. In Edinburgh though, we had a worser problem when the thaw set in. It would resurrect the hibernating dog poos ( plural of poo as there wasn't ever just ONE, you know!) that were snowed in. Not a sight to behold, that one! But if you didn't behold, your shoe would hold! UGH.

In any case, another weekend and another major cooking exam - to cook healthy, different varieties that boys would love and not consider boring. This is not a territory that I love crossing, and I am always looking out for fresh ideas of others to piggy back on. And I have to tell you that my friend Roshni's Kitchen is just the place I always end up in! A lovely blog by a lovely girl with just the recipes that would help you out of Saturday and sunday blues and make your day. You should really check it out to believe it. I have tried many of her recipes with great success. And her blog is so beautifully maintained and bursting with goodness. You could perhaps subscribe to her "Arusuvai Kurippu" blog page in FB to keep abreast of all updates.

It is funny, I always want to say something, but always digress so much from what I intended to say. Which is certainly not what I meant to say now, but anyway. There was this nice Kids' Book Event happening in "The Works". It is a "Buy a book for £1.99 and get another for 1p" sale. I have to say the books are GORGEOUS! All famous authors and I even spotted "Owl Babies". Most of the £1.99 books are originally priced at £4.99 or above, so basically for £2, you would be buying about £10 worth of books! I mostly buy books second hand for personal use, but when I saw this, I had to snatch a couple! Also picked up a Michael Morpurgo boxed set of 8 books for a mega bargain. All set for the weekend now :o)


I usually pick my books from charity shops and used, good quality books from ebay most of the times. If I am buying as gifts, I usually do them here: Red House Books or The Book People.
The books are sold brand new, at 40% to even 90% reduction in price and these are great brands I really trust.

But I have noticed that books are mostly cheapest in India. I picked up loads of Agatha Christie and Enid Blyton books priced between INR80 - INR150. Mera Bharat Mahaan :o)








 

9 comments:

  1. Just read this post... you are a sweetheart... thank you for recommending my blog... hugs and kisses... i am seriously getting addicted to your blog. so much info.. thanks for the links of book stores and sale info..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You deserve all the attention. This is just a tiny return for all the great recipes I have used from your blog!

      Delete
  2. Enjoy your thaw .. BTW I hadnt heard of Michael Morpurgo .. something new I learn whenever I visit your blog. And thanks for the shout out to Roshni's kitchen. Snooped around and probably will try a recipe or 2 in near future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy the thaw .. BTW I hadnt heard of Michael Morpurgo. SOmething new I learn everytime I visit your blog. And also thanks for the shout out to Roshni's kitchen. Snooped around that blog and will try a recipe or 2 in near future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thaw just took about a night, and evvvvvvverything vanished. Morpurgo, I only chanced upon his books because Mukunth got them from school and only when Spielberg made War Horse movie did I realize how profound a writer he is...

      Delete
  4. Picked up some activity books for Neel and his friend today at works.. 2 for £2 is awesome price :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! The more I browse in Waterstones and WH Smith, the more I end up liking works' prices :o)

      Delete
    2. hmm... but the selection is very small.. I usually order from Amazon.. no point in paying full price at waterstones... when I was in US, used to visit Barnes and Noble. Used to buy starbucks coffee, pick up a few books and read a few pages (well as many in the 2-3 hrs). if I like the books, then I used to buy it there though the prices are higher. Just cause I use their service. Totally miss it. The comfy sofas next to sunlit windows and the coffee.. That is what I miss the most about US life :-)

      Delete
    3. Sure sounds like bliss. I have done that in Brighton all the time, but haven't seen such shops around here, although the couches are comfy enough here and my boys finish most of the books right there :o)
      As for buying, the best and cheapest are Red house books and Book people. Amazing combos and award winners dirt cheap. And they house the latest books for even pre-release orders...

      Delete